Yes, it’s that time of year it seems. For the third year, Mobile Monday London is proud to be working with Vodafone on the Vodafone Mobile Clicks start-up competition. With success stories like Roulette Cricket and Woobius from the UK under its belt, this competition can really give a leg-up to a mobile start-up. And it’s free to enter, so you really have nothing to lose by entering. ‘You’ve got to be in it to win it’ as someone once said. Vodafone lays no claim on your IP and the prize is a no-strings cash prize. Now, that’s refreshing!
What is it?
Vodafone Mobile Clicks is an international contest to identify and develop the best, most innovative mobile internet start-ups. Already known as the biggest start-up competition of its kind, this year’s Vodafone Mobile Clicks is open to seven markets. Any start-up in Germany, the Netherlands, Portugal, the Republic of Ireland, Spain, Turkey or the United Kingdom that has a mobile site, service or application can compete for the €225,000 prize fund.
Judging will take place over three rounds. Firstly, each competing market will draw up a shortlist of their five best submissions, then a local winner will be selected. Lastly, all seven local winners will be invited to represent their country in a live final at the PICNIC festival in the Netherlands on 15th – 16th September 2011, where the overall winner will be chosen.
This year’s high-profile judges include Peter Barry, Head of VC and Start-up at Vodafone Ventures; Paul Jozefak, Managing Partner at Mobile VC; Reshma Sohoni, Partner at Seedcamp; Rudy de Waele, founder of Mobile 2.0 Europe and dotopen; and Lee Epting, Director of Content Services at Vodafone Group.
Each judge will score entries based on five criteria:
- Originality, creativity and innovativeness
- Technical and operational feasibility
- Economic and financial viability
- Value to end-users
- The quality of the management team (e.g. their experience, knowledge, skills, relationships)
This is a fantastic opportunity to gain expert feedback for your entry, both qualitatively and quantitatively from all of the jury members. And if your entry reaches the finals, then you’ll also benefit from PR and coverage at both national and European level. So it’s not just about the prize money (although that’s important too).
- Vodafone Mobile Clicks 2011 is open to all mobile-related start-up companies, businesses, institutions and all other organisations in the joining countries of this years' competition – UK, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Turkey.
- Participants must be or must have the intention to become a start-up enterprise/business in the field of mobile internet products or services.
- Each participant may submit only one entry. Previous entries from Vodafone Mobile Clicks are allowed to participate again.
- The enterprise/business cannot be older than 3 years since its inception. An enterprise or business older than 3 years may enter the competition provided that the concept entry will become a new entity (a holding may enter only ONE entity).
- The enterprise/business must have an annual turnover of less than €500k per annum.
- Concepts are not allowed (a demonstrable solution will be required).
- It is free to enter
- You will need to register a Vodafone developer account (if you don’t already have one) in order to enter the competition
- All entries must be received by midnight CET 12 June 2011.
Definition of “mobile”
What kind of entries are eligible for Vodafone Mobile Clicks 2011? Entries may be linked to the concept of mobile and mobile infrastructure in the most broad sense of the word and are not restricted to only mobile phones. Every device or infrastructure that is related to “mobility” may be considered to enter the competition. Think about mobile content, iPad apps, widgets, design, sites or services leveraging or integrating mobile technology.
At Vodafone we recognise that confidentiality plays a huge part in any organisation, especially in the start-up world. This is why Vodafone will ensure your entry is kept confidential and will not seek to own any IP (intellectual property) from your entry.
- All entries are confidential and will not be distributed outside of this competition.
- Vodafone does not seek to own any intellectual property in relation to entries for the Vodafone Mobile Clicks competition.
- Any applications submitted as part of the competition can be used by Vodafone for distribution, advertising and promotion in relation to the Vodafone Mobile Clicks competition.
- Please read the Terms and Conditions before you register. It consists of two parts:
1. The competition (Please read this very carefully)
2. Terms & Conditions specifically for Mobile Widgets (Only relevant in case you want to enter a widget for the competition)
If you still have some concerns about Vodafone Mobile Clicks, please contact: email@example.com
Best of luck and get those entries in!